Recent events in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto suggest that the Iranian government continues to run intelligence operations in Canada, despite having their embassy kicked out of the country in 2012. A love triangle involving an alleged Iranian-Canadian “spy” has all the hallmarks of a bad Hollywood movie. The central character in the story may be attempting to create a distraction operation to focus attention away from himself and his activities and onto the Government of Canada.
Montreal businessman Arian Azarbar has been a subject of interest to several agencies involved in security and intelligence work for a number of years. So far the story involves the Israeli Mossad, the RCMP and an Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET), the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), the Passport Service, the Montreal City Police Service (SPVM) and quite possibly the government of Iran. Mr Azarbar’s “relationship” to the SPVM dates back to at least 2002.
The only agency NOT showing up is this drama so far is the CIA! However, given Mr Azarbar’s claimed close relations to the American’s arch enemy Hugo Chavez, this may yet happen. Whether or not he is a subject of interest to the MI-6 in the UK due to his business address there is also a guess at this point.
Mr Azarbar’s love affairs involving a woman from Passport Canada and a Canadian ex-intelligence officer now working in Toronto appears to be the spark for the story.
The issue went public when Mr Azarbar’s gave an interview with QMI News Agency (Andrew MacIntosh) where he revealed that an alleged Mossad assassin is alleged to be living in Canada with the alleged assistance of the Canadian government. The alleged assassin is believed to have be involved in the not-so-alleged killing of a Muslim Brotherhood/HAMAS leader named Mahmoud al-Mabhouh who died in Dubai in 2010. HAMAS is listed as a terrorist group in a variety of countries while the Muslim Brotherhood (The Ikwan) has been re-named as a terrorist group in its home country of Egypt.
Mr Azarbar says he is simply a businessman with connections to Venezuela and that he greatly admires the late President Hugo Chavez. He says he has no connections to Iran or its spy agencies, despite having been named in a Montreal police document which said just that. Of note, Iran and Venezuela have close diplomatic relations.
Additionally, Mr Azarbar has a bewildering list of at least 22 registered companies in Quebec, most of which involve the same small group of individuals such as John Henold WAIS, Najib WAIS, Raman WAIS, and Zohreh ESLAMI. He also had a business in the UK (Nino Corporation) but it was listed as inactive as of January 2013.
Now, here is where the story gets really interesting! When you check out the connections of the WAIS family individuals noted above, they hold some co-directorship positions with none other than Mr Mehdi CALIMI. Mr CALIMI is on the board of directors of the Montreal Iranian Islamic Centre located at 210 St-Jacques Street West in Ville St Pierre, Montreal.
The Imam of the centre is Saleh SEBOWEH who has openly told the press that he offers visa and passport services for Iran. He claims to have a working relationship with the Iranian Embassy in Cuba as well as the Iranian Department of Foreign Affairs and has been doing this since the Iranian Embassy had to leave Canada in 2012. The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAIT) in Ottawa says that no one has authorization to run such a centre in Canada and says that the RCMP is responsible for enforcing the law in this area. This centre previously held status as a registered charity, but that was lost in 2006. (Canada Revenue Agency Charity Number for Le Centre Islamique Iranien de Montreal Inc, BN/Registration Number: 891735326RR0001)
This could all be a coincidence and Mr Azarbar may have no connections to the Government of Iran or any spy operations. Maybe he is the victim of a honey pot set up by Passport Canada. However, given his knowledge of certain intelligence operations, his connections to the key players in the love triangle and the fact that an alphabet soup of government agencies (RCMP, SPVM, CBSA, CIC, INSET etc) has an interest in him, clearly something must be going on.
All told, it would appear that Mr Azarbar was feeling the heat of a variety of agencies and problems were building up for him. So he did the logical thing. He used his insider knowledge of intelligence activities in Canada and the Middle East and decided to create a distraction operation to take the heat off himself and put it on the Government of Canada instead. A classic distraction operation!
For references to this story see:
LE CENTRE ISLAMIQUE IRANIEN DE MONTRÉAL INC.
Company Number 1149694060
Incorporation Date 13 August 1999 (over 14 years ago)
Company Type Association personnifiée
Jurisdiction Quebec (Canada)
210, ST-JACQUES, MONTRÉAL (QUÉBEC), H8R1M8,
CALIMI, MEHDI, vice-président
MAISWIAN, SEYED HASSAN RABBARI, secrétaire
MEHRNOOSH, HEYDARY, trésorier
SEBOWEH, MOHAMMAD SALEH, président
LES INVESTISSEMENTS KOSIRE CANADA INC.
Company Number 1161179669
Incorporation Date 26 November 2002 (about 11 years ago)
Company Type Compagnie
Jurisdiction Quebec (Canada)
Registered Address 148 rue Montevista Dollard-Des Ormeaux (Québec) H9B3A2
WAIS, NAJIB, trésorier
WAIS, HENOLD JOHN, président
CALIMI, MEHDI, vice-président
WAIS, NAJIB, secrétaire
3891747 CANADA INC.
Company Number 3891747
Incorporation Date 1 May 2001 (almost 13 years ago)
148 MONTEVISTA ROAD, DOLLARD-DES-ORMEAUX QC, H9B 3A2, Canada
HENOLD JOHN WAIS, director
JULIAN WAIS, director
NAJIB WAIS, director
MEHDI CALIMI, director
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, président, STIGMATEK NUTRIPHARM INC. (Quebec (Canada), 20 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, administrateur, 2 Feb 2012- 8 Jun 2012, 9261-1540 QUÉBEC INC. (Quebec (Canada), 2 Apr 2012- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, président, 4 Apr 2012- 9 Jul 2012, 9261-2175 QUÉBEC INC. (Quebec (Canada), 4 Apr 2012- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, vice-président, -17 Oct 2011, STIGMATEK LABORATORY INC. (Quebec (Canada), 22 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, administrateur, inactive 3954935 CANADA INC. (Quebec (Canada), 22 Oct 2001- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, président, NOVATHERMO LAB CANADA INC. (Quebec (Canada), 20 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, secrétaire, NOVATHERMO LAB CANADA INC. (Quebec (Canada), 20 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, secrétaire, STIGMATEK NUTRIPHARM INC. (Quebec (Canada), 20 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, trésorier, STIGMATEK NUTRIPHARM INC. (Quebec (Canada), 20 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, secrétaire, 4 Apr 2012- 9 Jul 2012, 9261-2175 QUÉBEC INC. (Quebec (Canada), 4 Apr 2012- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, trésorier, 12 May 2012- , STIGMATEK LABORATORY INC. (Quebec (Canada), 22 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, président, 17 Oct 2011-12 May 2012, STIGMATEK LABORATORY INC. (Quebec (Canada), 22 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, secrétaire, 12 May 2012- 7 May 2013, STIGMATEK LABORATORY INC. (Quebec (Canada), 22 Oct 2010- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, vice-président, 12 Oct 2011-12 May 2012, inactive SIRIUS GROUP VEN INC. (Quebec (Canada), 26 Oct 2011- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, administrateur, 12 Oct 2011-31 May 2013, inactive SIRIUS GROUP VEN INC. (Quebec (Canada), 26 Oct 2011- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, président, 12 May 2012-31 May 2013, inactive SIRIUS GROUP VEN INC. (Quebec (Canada), 26 Oct 2011- )
- AZARBAR, ARIAN, secrétaire, 12 May 2012-31 May 2013, inactive SIRIUS GROUP VEN INC. (Quebec (Canada), 26 Oct 2011- )
- Arian Azarbar, director, SIRIUS GROUP VEN INC. (Canada, 12 Oct 2011- )
- Arian Azarbar, director, NOVATHERMO LAB CANADA INC. (Canada, 20 Oct 2010- )
- Arian Azarbar, director, STIGMATEK LABORATORY INC. (Canada, 20 Oct 2010- )
- Arian Azarbar, director, STIGMATEK NUTRIPHARM INC. (Canada, 20 Oct 2010- )
inactive NINO CORP LIMITED
NINO CORP LIMITED
Company Number 07630103
Incorporation Date 11 May 2011 (almost 3 years ago)
Dissolution Date 8 January 2013
Company Type Private Limited Company
Jurisdiction United Kingdom
SOMERSET HOUSE, 6070 BIRMINGHAM BUSINESS PARK, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
UNITED KINGDOM, B37 7BF
inactive ARIAN AZARBAR, director, 11 May 2011-